Thursday, April 19, 2012

Burnished Glitter with Copic Coloured Image


No card today but I tried out Kathy's tutorial that she shared about using Copics on glitter.
Please be sure to look at Kathy's as it so much prettier. :-)
What I did.  I grabbed out some Jac Paper and cut it just larger than the Deckled Edged Spellbinder oval that I wanted to use.  Found some scrap cardstock about the same size and attached the Jac Paper to this then cut out the oval.  I then peeled off the second side of the Jac paper and added my glitter.  I used this blue as it is the lightest colour glitter I have.  Although I have a gold....I will have to try that.  The whole time I was working from memory as I had quickly read through the tutorial in the morning and of course when I was ready to try this the computer was tied up with the kids.  I remembered that Kathy had said to shake off the excess glitter and then burnish it with your finger.  Well I was not sure on the meaning of burnish so just thought it meant to really press the glitter into the Jac Paper.  Which I did, then proceeded to stamp it with my Memento Ink.  Finding an appropriate stamp was another challenge.  I only have this set of Stampin Up rubber stamps that I can actually colour.....I use a lot of digital stamps for colouring in.  Anyways, I stamped the image and the ink just disappeared into the glitter, stamped a solid butterfly image and again it disappeared.  Thought oh well, just see what the Copic look like on it and draw my own butterfly (note feelers appearing above top flowers) ink seem to disappear also.  So then I started rubbing it and I noticed that I was removing a little more glitter and getting a smoother surfaced.......burnished.  

bur·nish  (bûrnsh)
tr.v. bur·nishedbur·nish·ingbur·nish·es
1. To make smooth or glossy by or as if by rubbing; polish.
2. To rub with a tool that serves especially to smooth or polish.
n.
A smooth glossy finish or appearance; luster.

So then I restamped the image an tadah! I could see it much better.  Used my darkest Copic Pens and it coloured up well.  I did do a couple of layers of colouring.  


Another view....hard to photograph glitter.


Best photo I think.

Now I will be keeping an eye out for some white glitter and finding a rubber stamp that I can colour in. I think it is a great technique with the right equipment.

10 comments:

  1. I can tell that this is so pretty in person and I loved your description and the definition to burnish...lol (I was thinking about that) Now we both need to get some white glitter and the results will be even better. Thanks for sharing my blog. Hugs, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic and unusual project Merry..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Merry, this is different but so lovely:)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! this looks amazing, Merry! such a cool technique. thanks for the link to Kathy's post, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for your comments regarding that terrible matter!!! It is all forgotten we have so many beautiful things to do, don't you think?? Although I do not put many comments, you must know that I always read you. Regards from Spain!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fabulous Merry, I might have to give this a try.
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW gorgeous and a fabulous idea!!!
    Thanks for the lovely comments!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you try clear glitter glue, where the glitter is in the glue? Or how about glass glitter? That's glitter that's made from glass and ground really fine. And yes, it's hard photographing or scanning glitter, but you did a fine job here! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for much for visiting my little part of the world. I really appreciate the time you have taken to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you and if you are new I really like the fact I can now visit your blog too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails