Friday, July 6, 2012

Craftmad Family Quilt


Over at Craftmad we started sewing quilt blocks.....for a lot of us it was the first time we had ever done such a thing.  We decided when we had enough blocks it would be a Craftmad Family Quilt.  So from January to May we made up a different block each month in our partners favourite colours.  The above quilt block is a pinwheel block which I really enjoyed doing.  This headed off to Mandy who loves her blues.  Such a learning curve as I was setting up the swaps and as I never sewn a block before I just randomly picked that we should make 9 1/2 inch blocks.  So each month we all struggled with converting measurements so our block patterns would end up that size.  I also learnt that some of the more complex looking blocks are fairly simple.  It's a matter of starting with squares, sewing them together, then cutting them and rearranging to get a totally different pattern and resewing.


This is a photo of all the blocks I received plus a few of my practise blocks and mistakes (wrong size).
I have laid these out randomly for the photo.  We had a break during June to (optimistically) complete out Quilt. :-)  I do still  plan to get this done in the very near future.  Was thinking I might buy a maroon or pink colour fabric to tie all the blocks together.  Does anyone have any suggestions??? 

Over at Craftmad we are starting up a new lot of Quilt Block swapping.
Our plan for the new swaps is to stick to one block pattern for the next six months.  Each month do a different colour of the rainbow.  The blocks will be 12".  At this stage we are deciding on the block pattern and the background colour (black or white) and if we are doing brights or pastels.  If you would like to be involved please click here for more details.  We have a mixture of sewing levels involved....the main objective fun and learning.

Well that is me for this week.  Wishing you all a great weekend and I will see you Monday.

11 comments:

  1. looks good all laid out Merry ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh its looking very cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should look fantastic when finished Merry..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love this – very creative and its going to look great when its finally sewed up. Wishing you a fab Friday.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    Digistamps4Joy DT Member
    Doing Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Merry, This is absolutely gorgeous your so talented:)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will look stunning when finished Merry, wow you should all be so pleased with it....think I would go for the pink...but either way it will look great.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Look at all those cool blocks! Love the variety!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Not only great cards but now she quilts too. One talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto Sharon's comment! Looks fabulous. Pink or maroon would be spectacular with it, but so would Ice Blue?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a lady of multi talents Merry!! I never had the patience to quilt though I can spend hours on pop up card designing and making

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for much for visiting my little part of the world. I really appreciate the time you have taken to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you and if you are new I really like the fact I can now visit your blog too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails