Friday, November 30, 2018

3D Pots and Succulents


I have found a new love this year and that is succulents. I have been slowly transforming my unused vegetable garden into a succulent garden which sounded easier than what it is going to be.  I have discovered that although succulents don't need as much water and don't mind the sun.  They don't really like the blazing afternoon sun which my garden gets.  I'm also concerned I will lose the lot during our wet season as they just don't cope with a lot of water.  I have now put one of each type I own into three pots so I have a plant in reserve at all times.

I was having so much fun growing new plants from leaves of my other plants I thought they would be a great christmas gifts to people at work and other close friends.  So I asked my son to create some small pots for me on his new 3D printer and the photo shows what he came up with.  I was only expecting one design but he was having so much fun creating new designs the collection grew.

Have a wonderful day.

Edit:  Thought I should show and explanation about 3D printing as I too had not heard about 3D printing until our son bought himself a cheap one to have a try.

3D Printing - 3D printing or additive manufacturing is a process of making three dimensional solid objects from a digital file.
The creation of a 3D printed object is achieved using additive processes. In an additive process an object is created by laying down successive layers of material until the object is created. Each of these layers can be seen as a thinly sliced horizontal cross-section of the eventual object.
3D printing is the opposite of subtractive manufacturing which is cutting out / hollowing out a piece of metal or plastic with for instance a milling machine.
3D printing enables you to produce complex (functional) shapes using less material than traditional manufacturing methods.
You Tube video of a 3D Printer in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcgPRTBPm9o

3 comments:

  1. Wow, 3D printer and pots from there. How cool is that. Technology can be impressive sometimes. Lol. The pots are very nice looking and so are the plants in them. How thoughtful to gift plants to your colleagues for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused as to whether these are real pots or not. I like the step design on them. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look Stunning Merry.. I have not heard of a 3d printer...Loz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for much for visiting my little part of the world. I really appreciate the time you have taken to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you and if you are new I really like the fact I can now visit your blog too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails