Thursday, December 30, 2021

Kayaking around Double Island, Palm Cove Australia

 

The view we started with off Palm Cove


Back at the beginning of November I ticked another thing off my bucket list. Growing up in Cairns we would often visit Palm Cove on the weekends and just offshore you can see Double Island and Scout Hat Island (real name Haycock Island) - Wikipedia info here and has a photo of Double Island which I didn't think to take. Over the years it was a resort for the rich and famous and I am neither of them, so never visited.  I discovered that you can kayak around Double Island and thought this is my chance to finally make it there.  So with the help of Brad from Palm Cove Watersports my friend and I were up at 5.30am for a 6am start of kayaking.  

We are on our way in a double kayak, just my friend and our guide Brad heading to Scout Hat Island both of us thinking - "what are we doing".


Yep, I led the way and my friend steered us from behind as I was hopeless at that.


Just around the top end of Double Island to back of the island…..lovely calm waters.

Looking back to Palm Cove and Buchans Point from Double Island

 So sad that to see that since this island has been closed to the public that things have just been left to become derelict.   This is a gym.

If you look through the reflections you can see the gym equipment is just sitting there as if someone had used it yesterday except for the rust that is growing on it.  Such a shame this equipment was not sold off or donated to someone that could have used it.

One of the Eco Cabins falling apart.


We enjoyed a walk around the shores of Double Island

Even spied a couple of Shovel Nosed Sharks in the water, this is about 40cm long.


I loved every moment of this adventure and keen to do again one day.  The day we went was a little windy  - about 9 - 10 knots so we didn't get to see the amazing reef we were floating over or the turtles that live around the island.  My cousin and her husband did a similar tour four days after us and she said it was flat as, turtles everywhere and the reef so pretty.


4 comments:

  1. I have lived in cairns and have never heard of these islands. Such a shame they are derelict now...The govt'should do something....Have a very happy New Year..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Merry this sounds amazing, what a wonderful experience your so lucky. I do feel same as you about that beautiful spot being abandoned though, surprised no-one has taken it over as a resort.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely and yet such a terrible Shame too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to see some summery outings! It's snowing quite hard here at the moment! It's sad seeing things lack for care, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for much for visiting my little part of the world. I really appreciate the time you have taken to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you and if you are new I really like the fact I can now visit your blog too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails