Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Olive Backed Sunbird

This will be a long post with lots of photos. :-) 

Morning everyone, hope you have had a great Christmas and it went to your plans, if not to plan it was still lovely all the same.  Our Christmas was the latter - nothing drastic happened just not as I thought it would. My husband surprised me with a Cricut Joy cutter, something I didn't even know I needed but now I can imagine so many possibilities.  If anyone has one I would love to hear some hints, tips or great blogs/sites I can visit.

Today I want to share photos of the the little Olive Back Sunbirds that have chosen our back verandah as their nesting area.  It has been such a pleasure and joy watching them build their nest, sit on the eggs, feed the chicks and very quiet and sad when they all fly from the nest.  More info here.


The couple of sunbirds joined us 2nd October and they decided to build their nest on one of my succulents.




One day when the chicks were hatched we had a bit of strong wind which blew the nest to the ground. Luckily, my husband found them and reattached the nest to the succulent with electrical tape.  Everyone was happy and continued on growing.


This is the hard working Mum. By the end of October they were gone.

I moved the nest from the succulent and tied it up with a shoelace further down the verandah so I could again water my plants.  We had heard that these birds use the same nest over and over.

Two more eggs

Lucky us, they did and weren't worried about the slight change in scenery.  I was amazed as they just seemed to move back in on the 2nd December with no repairs happening.




And just like that they flew the nest yesterday 28th December.

I hope you enjoyed the journey of these little birds.






2 comments:

  1. Oh how exciting something nice in the world xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Merry just popped in to wish you all the best for the coming year.
    Glad you shared the pics of the birds nesting, such a joy isn't it.xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for much for visiting my little part of the world. I really appreciate the time you have taken to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you and if you are new I really like the fact I can now visit your blog too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails